Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Tap Tap Tap Your Troubles Away

When I first started working, one of my co-workers left every Monday afternoon and said “I’m off to tap class.”
Every Monday, she rushed out to her class, which I assumed was an exercise group - like an aerobics or jazzercise group.
That April, she invited me to come to her “recital.” I was a little surprised that grown women would be having a full-blown recital - I mean, when I think recital, I think little girls in tutus and parents crowding the stage with their cameras and rushing out the door as soon as the person you’re there to see does their dance.
The day of the “show,” I arrived at the Alabama Theatre and couldn’t believe it. There were cars everywhere. I thought, “hmm… what else is going on downtown today.” I finally found a place to park, made my way to the theater and realized that the people were here for the SHOW!
Time Step Studio’s annual “recital” turned out to be a huge production! The ladies were all so into their dances - the costumes were fabulous, and when Louise Beard came down from the ceiling on a big snowflake, I had absolutely made up my mind. I’VE GOT TO BE A PART OF THIS.
I started taking tap classes the next fall, and this year marked my 17th tap recital. When Louise retired and closed Time Step Studio (to become a Tony-winning Broadway Producer), a group of us moved to the Alabama Ballet, and now the show is at the Virginia Samford Theatre. I love spending my Monday nights with these fantastic women - we are from all different backgrounds, but we share a passion for dance and the spotlight!  
After the show, I usually go out into the audience to pose with some of my biggest fans.
I always say that "show week" is one of my favorite weeks of the year. We practice at the theatre most of the week, and put our feet through a pretty intense workout.
But at Dress Rehearsal, when it all comes together with the costumes, the makeup, the lights - there's no better feeling. The "show" is ready to go on, and we're STARS for the day!

Classes start on Monday, September 14, so if you're interested in being a part of this, contact the Alabama Ballet and get yourself registered!


No comments:

Post a Comment